Happy New Year, folks! I’ve been blogging for one whole year now. Happy blogging birthday to me!
Yes, this blog post is a bit late in the year. But my first week in 2016 was spent nursing a bad cold, that had me struggling to keep up with work, kids and house work. Nevertheless, here it is!
I wanted to do a quick recap of 2015 as I felt it was so rich with experiences, travels, projects and clients. I walked away feeling like a completely new person, with new aspirations and goals. One thing remains the same – I have so much to be grateful for.
There were lots of firsts in 2015.
- My first trip to NYC alone to attend a conference. Had a fabulous time and met some gorgeous people!
- I had the opportunity to present and talk on my favourite topic, Branding and Design. It gave me the opportunity to meet some lovely ladies.
- My first billboard design also happened – live on the 400 Hwy.
- My very first time doing window calligraphy. A friend of mine commissioned me to do some window calligraphy for her storefront. It was an educating experience from sketch to execution.
- I got my taste of calligraphy and loved it. I am serious enough about it, that I have invested in a few variety of nibs and inks.
- I took on a few digital animations done in Adobe After Effects. They were fun and I look forward to doing more digital video animations.
- Watercolours have also made a comeback for me.
2. Clients & Projects
2015 brought about some great graphic design and web design projects with several awesome clients, new and old. Some ended awkwardly and fizzled (afterall not everything works out in life), but most flourished rather well. Regardless, I am grateful for opportunities to have worked with every one of them. To name drop, Tully Travels, Virgin Airlines, Barbados Tourism Marketing Inc., RNAO, Institute of Communication Agencies Toronto, etc.
I also decided to enter into contests. I didn’t win any. I also did a few pro bono projects. Here is a very random collection of all works from this year.
Remember Chad? Who did my headshots. Sweet Chad.
For my wedding planner client and friend, Osmyn.
This project was quite promising. Unfortunately, it was abandoned.
This was my first outdoor billboard design for, ACM Designs.
Handlettered this tagline for the infamous PowerClean sisters. This went on their website, PowerClean Meals.
This was a logo submission for a contest that was judged by David Carson. I submitted for fun.
And that wraps my visual walk down 2015. Super excited to start 2016. For all the new experiences, chances, lessons, projects, clients and growth it will bring. I have a new desktop setup that I cannot wait to share with you. Stay tuned for next blog post with pictures of my new toys that will help me work that much quicker and better.
One of my biggest promises to myself this year is to bring back balance and moderation in my life.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new. -Socrates Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives